Port Lincoln Tugs began in 1953 when Broken Hill Proprietary in Whyalla realised their local work launch, IRON BARK, provided by Adelaide Steamship Co which was inadequate for general duties. BHP was building ever bigger ships and needed something to move them around. Alan Stannard flew to Whyalla which resulted in the formation of Stannard Bros. Towage Co. Pty Ltd which subsequently changed to Port Lincoln Tugs in 1967. From there the company expanded to multiple ports in the gulf of South Australia and adjusted its fleet according to the ships visiting the ports.
Our current fleet of 8 tugs cater to the ever changing requirements of each port. PLT service a variety of different products, ranging from, but not limited to gypsum, sand, lead, zinc, grain, fertilizer and petroleum. Through our management team in Sydney we work closely with our stakeholders to ensure a smooth, safe, 24/7 service to all our ports.